Support Thread Upvotes

SaveTheWest

Registered
Our forum recently upgraded from XF 1.5 to XF 2.2.

One of the features we would like to add is upvoting/likes to the thread, which can be seen from the forum (and which you don't have to go into the thread to see). Something like StackExchange or Reddit style (without 'sorting' by the most popular threads).

We haven't been able to find an add-on to do this yet.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? An existing add-on or relatively simple way to implement it via some code?

Alternatively, we had a work-around in mind. We could change either the Replies counter or Views counter to be an Upvote counter (based on the # of upvotes for the thread OP's first comment), OR, simply have all three (Replies, Views, & Upvotes).

See here for visualization:
6l5njb.png

I haven't been able to locate the back-end code where this is handled for XF 2.2. If someone could kindly point me to where that is (such as Admin -> Appearance -> Templates -> thread_view), it would be much appreciated.

clive

Loyal Member
Our forum recently upgraded from XF 1.5 to XF 2.2.

One of the features we would like to add is upvoting/likes to the thread, which can be seen from the forum (and which you don't have to go into the thread to see). Something like StackExchange or Reddit style (without 'sorting' by the most popular threads).

We haven't been able to find an add-on to do this yet.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? An existing add-on or relatively simple way to implement it via some code?

Alternatively, we had a work-around in mind. We could change either the Replies counter or Views counter to be an Upvote counter (based on the # of upvotes for the thread OP's first comment), OR, simply have all three (Replies, Views, & Upvotes).

See here for visualization:
6l5njb.png

I haven't been able to locate the back-end code where this is handled for XF 2.2. If someone could kindly point me to where that is (such as Admin -> Appearance -> Templates -> thread_view), it would be much appreciated.
HI STW, do i understand you have XF 2.2.x ? So if you upgraded to xf 2.2.5 (i think xf2.2.4 has it too). When you make a new forum you can change forum type. (see attachment) If you select (i think it's anything other then general discussion it will allow members only to up or down-vote a thread. You have to set-up permissions in user group. members, admin, mods etc but does not work for guests.

(TIP: some styles will not show this or the first thread) test it on default XF style first, and use a back-up

change-forum-type.md.jpg

hope this is what you mean and helps.. And this has nothing to do with emoji likes etc

change-forum-type-2.jpg

change-forum-type-38c64f090354ea0ee.md.jpg

SaveTheWest

Registered
HI STW, do i understand you have XF 2.2.x ? So if you upgraded to xf 2.2.5 (i think xf2.2.4 has it too). When you make a new forum you can change forum type. (see attachment) If you select (i think it's anything other then general discussion it will allow members only to up or down-vote a thread. You have to set-up permissions in user group. members, admin, mods etc but does not work for guests.

(TIP: some styles will not show this or the first thread) test it on default XF style first, and use a back-up

change-forum-type.md.jpg

hope this is what you mean and helps.. And this has nothing to do with emoji likes etc

change-forum-type-2.jpg

Thank you for your helpful response.

We had stumbled onto a similar option earlier on (perhaps should have included that above), but we were of the thought that it wouldn't work for our forum.

I have a few follow up questions.

We already have a bunch of threads on our forum, with replies, likes to the first comment, and so forth. Is it possible to switch all previous threads to "Suggestion" type threads? If we were to switch over to "Suggestion" type threads, would anything be lost? And if this were possible, would all of the old threads just simply start with a count of zero upvotes/downvotes?

(If any of my questions sound silly, it's probably because I'm relatively new to setting up a XF forum. The person who runs the site does have more experience).

SaveTheWest

Registered

change-forum-type.md.jpg

change-forum-type-2.jpg

We decided to go wth this solution, and, it worked.

Much appreciated!

• Tags
    like likes thread threads upvote voting
  • Back
    Top Bottom